[SWLUG] SSD dual boot

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed May 22 11:50:50 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Gerald Davies <gerald.davies at gmail.com>wrote:

> One thing that used to be talked about years ago was correctly
> aligning partitions for an SSD to improve performance.  I'm not sure
> if distros do this automatically these days.  Also check for firmware
> updates for each SSD that you use.

I wasn't told anything at all about alignments - I'd note, though, that
these days SSDs are pretty commonplace - a lot of new systems ship with
them as standard - so I'd imagine that much of the magic required is also
standard these days.

ureadahead, for example, was built around solid state, originally, as I
recall, and grew spinny support later.

As for firmware updates, that's simply new to me - but makes sense.

Dave