[Swlug] Broken link on the website

Matt Willsher matt at monki.org.uk
Thu Nov 14 09:12:47 UTC 2013

On 14 November 2013 08:41, Gerald Davies <gerald.davies at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree and also saw this re http.  Personally, I guess from a
> technology point of view it was be interesting to see how it would
> affect a mailing list, too.  I'm a little in the dark on how this
> would work with a list and new users.  Perhaps I am misunderstood
> (aren't we all).

It's good practice to use TLS on SMTP  so the mail is encrypted between the
servers en-route. You can see it being used in mail headers - for example,
mail coming from the lug.org.uk to my mail server shows  version=TLSv1
cipher=RC4-SHA bits=128/128. That's only as good as the weakest link, and
and servers that don't allow TLS will have the mail sent to them
unencrypted. If all servers supported TLS then essentially the
communication would remain private between the participants and the servers
the mail passes through.

Encryption of the message itself would only be feasible if each individual
had everyone else's certificate and trusted those certificates and the
people that had access to their private key. On a public mailing list
that's not really possible.