[SWLUG] swlug site

Matthew Moore matt at matthewmoore.org.uk
Mon Oct 7 20:05:41 UTC 2013

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 07:56:33 +0100, Matt Willsher <matt at monki.org.uk>
wrote:
> On 27 Sep 2013 17:00, "Justin Mitchell" <justin at discordia.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2013-09-27 at 13:49 +0100, Dick Bain wrote:
>> > Justin I'm not sure that the amount of activity on the site needs a
>> > CMS, indeed einon has already put up a static site
>> > at: http://www.einon.co.uk/swlug/ which looks pretty good to me and
>> > nobody on irc has kicked up a stink either ;-)
>> > cheers Dick
>>
>> Problem with static pages is that some sucker (ie me) has to ssh in and
>> edit them by hand every time theres a change, this is something i wish
>> to avoid.
>>

> * You could grant others SSH access either as a full shell or a limited
> shell that just did a git pull.
> * It could be deployed to Amazon S3. I'm happy to set this up, grant
> appropriate access to others and cover the hosting costs
> * It could be deployed to Rackspace Cloudfiles.
> * It could be deployed via github pages for free.
> * A cron job could be used to check for updates to the git repo and git
> pull on changes
> * A hook could be configured to trigger a git pull.
>
> Personally, I'd not host static content on a (relatively) expensive
server
> when other, fast, more reliable, methods are available.

So far no one seems to have volunteered a WordPress design.  With that in
mind, I think that we should put some effort into getting this sorted out
now and not letting it fester.

Justin - would you be able to either grant access to a server or to change
the DNS to a server which folk can have a login to, aka Matt W's suggestion
of having a Amazon S3 server.  Or github pages?

Matt