[SWLUG] swlug site

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Wed Oct 23 09:37:21 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-10-22 at 17:50 +0100, Matthew Moore wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 21:00:04 +0100, Mark Einon <mark.einon at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 9 October 2013 10:15, Justin Mitchell <justin at discordia.org.uk>
> wrote:

> someone
> >>
> >> I run servers already anyway, i don't mind giving swlug a little space
> >> on it, but that said...
> >>
> >> The swlug.org and swlug.org.uk domains are up for renewal in the next
> >> few months, if somebody else with more time and enthusiasm wants to
> take
> >> over running the website then i will arrange the transfer.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm happy to organise the website - the proposed github hosting
> > (swlug.github.io/website) would mean that others could make changes
> > without too much fuss if needed.
> >
> > Does this mean that the mailing lists need to be transferred as well?
>
> So, what's up with this at the moment?
>
> Justin - do you want someone to take over the domains and the websites?
> Cause you've started doing some development on the wordpress site and I'm
> now slightly confused as to what's going on.
>
> Also, will this need us to move the mailing list.
>
> Personally, I reckon we ought to put the whole lot on lug.org.uk.  But
> github pages etc work.

It is an all or nothing deal, I have tried repeatedly to provide
facilities for someone to improve the site but all i seem to get are
unhelpful suggestions of how they think it should be done.

If the active members want it to be done by someone else then they can
have the domains before i have to pay to renew them (4th dec, 9th jan)
and i will wash my hands of it.

But so far no-one has made any credible offer to take over, so I have
taken the one helpful suggested new design, mashed it into a pmwiki skin
to make it maintainable, and are preparing to switch over to it and just
leave it at that.