[SWLUG] swlug site

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Wed Oct 23 12:24:24 UTC 2013

On 23.10.13 13:01, Mark Einon wrote:

> As for the simplistic nature of the site I proposed (also in response
> to steve at nexusuk.org) - again, there's absolutely no need to re-invent
> the wheel when it comes to content like blogs and member profiles -
> Links to swlug groups on facebook, G+, twitter and the like give us
> that without the faff, and with the bonus that SWLUG happenings will
> have a much wider audience than if the content were posted solely on
> swlug.org.

If the attitude is that we should have zero content on the website and
rely on third party services (which not everyone will have access to),
such as facebook, I would ask: WTF are we bothering to run a website *at
all*?

You cite dated date stamps on existing content as being a problem.  I
cite having no content at all as being a much bigger problem.

I'll agree that a lot of people won't want to keep blogs on the SWLUG
site itself, but this is what content syndication systems like RSS and
Atom are for - there's nothing stopping people publishing a blog on
whatever service they like and having the SWLUG site aggregate all of
the blogs into one place.

Stuff like having the dates of the next meets on the website is (IMHO)
important.  Also, if I were an outsider I would hesitate to get involved
in a technical group who aren't technical enough to bother running a
website.

--

 - Steve