[SWLUG] swlug site

Dick Bain dick.bain at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 12:56:50 UTC 2013

On 24 October 2013 10:36, Emyr Derfel <emyr42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> An idea which might generate useful content:
>
> At each meet, a volunteer or nominee could accept the following
> responsibility:
> --Generate a summary of the topics covered.
> --Highlight nuggets of information put forth:
> ----These nuggets may have been laborious to gather, preserving them would
> increase the sum of accessible human knowledge.
> ----Hyperlink where possible.
> --Identify attendees who were able to provide useful information
> ----this might hint at people who could give valuable lightning talks or
> blog posts, but might not have realised that the knowledge they have is not
> widespread.
>
> I think that the SWLUG presence should emphasise the high utility of
> attending SWLUG meets, versus other pub attendance, or researching solo.
>
> Two options stand out for the structure of such a site
> 1: a dynamic homepage which aggregates SWLUG member's blogposts, from
> whichever platform that member chooses to use. Like a hosted RSS-readed
> which only pulls summaries of articles tagged SWLUG.
> 2. some form of wiki, but with a stream of site-update-summaries on the
> home page
>
> I haven't been researching CMS for a while so I can't currently recommend
> a platform that's appropriate for either idea, which could be presented
> transparently as swlug.org. Sorry.
>
> Thanks,
> Emyr
> (Now in Manchester)

I have piddled about a bit on the Mambo site and remove 22,000+ spammy
users but am having difficulty removing one spammy link even when using the
administrator page, the item has a padlock on it and I can't do anything
about it.

I know nothing else

Dick

--
free/libre/open, software for the people by the people
www.swlug.org  is a good place to go ;-)