[SWLUG] CMS advice for community website

Matthew Moore matt at matthewmoore.org.uk
Sat Oct 26 06:38:57 UTC 2013

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 07:11:51 +0100, Toby Maxwell-Lyte
<toby.maxwelllyte at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of setting up a simple website to help provide
> information on the education cuts in Rhondda Cynon Taff. I'd like to
> enable others to update the content and would like to set up a CMS
> that's got a shallow learning curve.

Wordpress.

> Can anyone recommend cheap hosting with enabled CMS where they take
> care of security patches etc.

www.wordpress.com

It's free for basic stuff and sensibly priced for the extras (eg pointing
your domain to them etc).

Alternatively, tumblr.  You can also point domains at tumblr for a fee.

> I'd probably need to setup some kind of mail forwarding too. Is Google
> apps for your domain still a  valid option for free mail?

No they've stopped sign ups iirc.  They aren't cheap, but what about
fastmail?

Cheers,

Matt