[Swlug] Automounting problem

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Sat May 28 09:55:15 UTC 2016

Hi Colin,

On Sat, 28 May 2016 09:17:54 +0100
Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 May 2016 at 07:49, Mark Summerfield via Swlug
> <swlug at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a strange automounting problem.
> >
> > I have a machine with two user accounts: mark & andreas (the second
> > created by mistake - should have been andrea).
> >
> > I have no USB devices in /etc/fstab
> >
> > When I insert an ext4-formatted USB memory stick it is mounted in
> > /media/mark/VolumeNameOfMemoryStick
> >
> > But ls -lh on it reveals it its owner and group are andreas andreas. So
> > although I can read it, the only way to write is to sudo -u andreas -i
> > and then do it from that account.
>
> I assume the files on the stick were initially created by andreas.

No, they were all created on a different computer by mark.

> If
> you run something like
> sudo chown -R mark:mark /media/mark/VolumeNameOfMemoryStick
> then it will change them all to you.

All the files on it are already mark.mark when viewed on the original
computer. But when viewed on the other computer then it sees them as
andreas.andreas -- which is the problem. So it isn't what's on the
memory stick that's at fault but how Xubuntu _sees_ it.

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd.
    diffpdfc windows command line PDF comparison tool