[Swlug] imap server and smartphone

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 10:12:35 UTC 2016

On 23 September 2016 at 01:16, bascule via Swlug
<swlug at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:
> at the moment i have a home imap server (cyrus) keeping all my email and
> squirrelmail to access it from outside the house, using squirrelmail on a
> small screen smartphone isn't really useful so is there another way to get my
> email on my phone?
> do i have to open the imap server itself to the outside world for this?

As others have suggested you could setup a VPN to your home network so
you can access it securely via the internet.  This is remarkably easy
to do. For example see this (my) blog on setting it up on a Pi [1],
the procedure is similar on any Linux server.  This has the additional
advantage that you can use it to access the internet from free wifi
connections without having to worry about being snooped on (if your
internet connection is up to it).

[1] http://blog.clanlaw.org.uk/2016/07/30/A-complete-vpn-server-for-under-20-ukp.html

Colin