[Swlug] Docker, containers, oh my!

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Fri Apr 21 11:41:48 UTC 2017

> I’ve heard similar with ECS. It’s AWS’s own special sauce, rather
> than using Kubernetes as GCE does.
>
>> We started in a good place, since our product is already built on a
>> micro-service architecture. The ECS offering is currently good
>> enough for a wider proof-of-concept trial we're starting now, but
>> we're seriously considering using Kubernetes in AWS (we're tied
>> into AWS fairly tight) for the orchestration and scaling features.
>
> Another vote for Kubernetes :) How have you found working with
> microservices? Has it added much overhead from an ops point of view?
> Do you think Kubernetes will add more overhead?

I installed Kubernetes 1.4 some time ago ... it runs about 4 microservces.

Problems unresolved :

* Kubernetes thinks the nodes are full but they're not. (I need to
figure out how it's resource allocation works).

* How to upgrade - I think they're now on 1.7 and I'm wondering how to
upgrade (or whether I should throw the cluster away and create a new one).

David.