[Swlug] Safely resize linux partitions?

Ben Tullis tullis at hypothetical.co.uk
Fri Dec 14 23:34:57 UTC 2018

Hi there,

Good work. Just a couple of thoughts...

* You may want to install something like the 'swapspace' daemon. (http://pqxx.org/development/swapspace/) This will create temporary swap files for you beneath /var which can help to protect against oom-killer being invoked. You may not need swap most of the time, but it's handy to have it when you really need it.

* For next time, I would recommend using the LVM volume manager, even on a single device like this. LVM creates an abstraction layer between the physical storage devices and the file systems, so it becomes much easier to move and resize the volumes without having to modify partition tables. In this case you would have been able to allocate more space to the root volume without even rebooting into a live environment.

Anyway, well done for making it all work in the first place.

All the best,
Ben