[Swlug] External hard drive

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 14:30:27 UTC 2019

On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 at 14:25, Bill Thomson via Swlug
<swlug at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi Colin, the following shows up as a message on top f terminal ...
>
> Error mounting /dev/sdb at /media/bill/nEW: Command-line `mount -t "exfat" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,namecase=0,errors=remount-ro,umask=0077" "/dev/sdb" "/media/bill/nEW"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: unknown filesystem type 'exfat'

I am surprised xfat is not recognised, but if there is nothing on it
you would be better to format it with ext4 anyway.  Plug it in then
run gparted and it will let you format it with a gui.  Just make
double sure (and then a few more) that you are formatting the right
drive.

Colin