[Swlug] Boot directory

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 10:00:10 UTC 2019

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 at 10:53, Bill Thomson via Swlug
<swlug at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> Perhaps you might like to tell me exactly how I go about moving the /boot partition into the main partition? I could always do with the advice!

I would not do it.  You would have to boot from a live image as you
could not move it while it is mounted.  No doubt it is possible but
one slip of the finger could result in a trashed system.  My
suggestion was for the future if you were building a new system.

If you wanted to do something that is slightly less prone to disaster
then I would boot from a live gparted image, and increase the size of
the boot partition significantly.  You would likely have to shrink and
move the adjacent partition to do that.  In any case make sure you
have up to date backups of everything important.  But you have those
anyway of course.

Colin