[Swlug] Boot directory

Julian Hall linux at kaotic.co.uk
Sun Sep 22 20:09:13 UTC 2019

On 18/09/2019 09:50, Colin Law via Swlug wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 at 09:44, bill via Swlug <swlug at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> My laptop, which runs on Linux Mint Mate 19.1, is telling me that my
>> Boot directory is very low on space now. I have only 6.5 Mb or so left.
>> I am advised in the message that I can move some of the files to another
>> directory. That's very easy to say, but which files can I move without
>> causing the whole setup to stop functioning, and where should I move
>> them to so that the laptop still works? Can anybody help please? I'm a
>> happy user of Linux but a newbie regarding the technical side of things
>> - please speak to me in words I can understand!!
> If you have not been removing old kernels when upgrading then they may
> be filling up /boot.
> In a terminal run
> ls -l /boot
> to see what is there, then
> sudo apt-get autoremove
> which should remove any old ones.
>
> Colin
>

>> Many thanks :)
>>
>> Bill
>>

>> --

Hi Bill,

Now the extra kernel issue is resolved, what you can do regularly in
Mint is as follows; /after/ installing a new kernel and rebooting:

  * Run Update Manager
  * Click View -> Linux Kernels ; click Continue at the warning message
  * Click on the different major versions on the left hand side - scroll
    if necessary

You will see one Active and one or more Installed. I remove all but the
last Installed kernel, so I have the current one running and the last.

Also a handy utility is BleachBit to remove extraneous files - which I
do prior to a backup. I usually take out localisation files such as all
the extra languages I will never use.

That keeps disk space down to a minimum.

Kind regards,

Julian