[Swlug] forgotten administrative password

Bill Thomson billthomson1951 at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 6 11:46:42 UTC 2021

Hi team, I hope you're all well :)

I have a slight problem. I installed Linux Mint 19.3 onto a friend's
computer to create a dual boot (Windows/Linux Mint) capability. When I
installed the Linux Mint 19.3, from a USB drive, I set an administrative
password for future updates etc. However, I have forgotten the password
I set, and the list of updates is now quite impressive!

Is there any way of reminding myself of the password, or of changing it?

Alternately, I could reinstall Linux for my friend. How do I go about
doing that? Do I have to uninstall the original installation first, and
if so, how?

The very few files that are on the Linux installation have already been
backed up onto a separate USB stick.

I'd welcome your expertise on this knotty little problem please. It's
obviously important that my friend's Windows installation stays intact.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you!

Bill Thomson