[Swlug] Atmel AT Tiny 85

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Fri May 24 23:56:23 UTC 2024

I managed to get my emergency morse-transmitting radio to transmit on just 75ma of solar cells. That's somewhat of an achievement. My current task is to automate my emergency radio.

To that end I studied the power consumption of different microcontrollers before finding the ATTiny85 is a single chip and uses 2ma at 5v down to 1.8v.

Currently I'm trying various online solutions that have not so far worked in order to program the ATTiny85. I bought a USB cradle programmer and the IDE refused to recognise it. It didn't help that the Digistump website has gone. I've just tried using an Adafruit Metro as a programmer cradle but no luck yet. I still have to check that I got the wiring right.

My microcontroller lab is perfect and usable now. The problem is that it's now 95F outside so my un-airconditioned lab is now also 95F or above. 95F is 35C. That means early morning coding only.

Rhys Sage