[Swlugevents] afterbrain

Albertha Etherton nemertean at moderationen.de
Tue Apr 1 17:13:38 UTC 2014

u're wrong i

Ip! Go to your mistress, if she will have you. I renounce you. Mrs. Tremaine. (_laughing bitterly_) Excuse me, but our little comedy is played out. I am out of the story. (_Exit._) Denham. (_crosses up to door_) Stay, Blanche! You must not go like this. One moment, Constance. (_Exit, following Mrs. Tremaine._) Mrs. Denham. (_flinging herself down on the sofa_) My God! my God! what am I to do? How am I to live? I cannot stay in this house with a man who no longer loves me. Oh, if _she_ had not come between us! Yes, yes! A pretty face and a little flattery outweighs a life's devotion. Oh, it is hard, it is hard! (_A pause. Then enter Undine._) Undine. Mother! Are you sick? Mrs. Denham. No, dear. I have a headache, that's all. Undine. I'm sorry, mother. (_Kisses her._) Mrs. Denham. (_clasping her in her arms_) Well, what does my little girl want now? Undine. May I go and play with Maude and Bertie after school to-morrow, and stay to tea? Mrs. Denham. You may go and play; but you know I cannot let you stay to tea. Undine. Oh, but why? They want me to stay to tea. Mrs. Denham. You know you broke your promise the last time, and stayed without leave. Undine. But I forgot--I really did. Mrs. Denham. You must be taught not to forget. Now I'll give you one more chance. You may go and play, but you _must_ come back to tea. Promise me that you will. Undine. Well, I promise. But it's very hard to remember promises, when you want to do a thing very much. Mrs. Denham. Yes; but you must learn to be trustworthy. Now run away. (_Exit Undine._) The child hates me, I know. I suppose I must expect nothing but dislike and contempt. She is her father's child. I wish I had died long ago. (_Crosses_ R, _and sits by table_) (_A pause, then re-enter Denham._) Denham. Well, Blanche is gone. Mrs. Denham. (_listlessly_) In