[Swlugevents] windwardly

Nyman Meneely tilt at ju-bza.de
Wed Jan 8 20:02:10 UTC 2014

is in heav

St in you; if by signs not to be mistaken by those who watch earnestly for them, we might be assured that your part was taken, that you were striving with us in that service of our common Master, in which we would fain live and die; if evil was clearly lessened among us--not laughed at, but discouraged and put down; if instead of those turning away, who have now been with us at Christ's table, others, who have now turned away, should then be added to the number; then we should say, not doubtingly, that you were chosen: that you had tasted of the good things of Christ; that the good work of God was clearly begun in you. We might not, indeed, be without care, either for you or for ourselves: God forbid, that, in that sense, any of us should deem that we were chosen, until the grave has put us beyond temptation. But how happy were it to think of you as Christ's chosen, in that sense which should be a constant encouragement to us all: to think of you as going on towards God; to think of you as living to him daily; to think of you as on his side against all his enemies; to think of you as led by his Spirit, as living members of his holy and glorious Church,--militant now, in heaven triumphant! LECTURE XV. * * * * * LUKE xi. 25. _When he cometh, he findeth it swept and garnished_. JOHN v. 42. _I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you_. These passages, of which the first is taken from the gospel of this morning's service, the other from the second lesson, differ in words, but their meaning is very nearly the same. The house which was empty, swept and garnished, was especially one empty of the love of God. Whatever evil there may not have been in it; whatever good there may have been in those of whom Christ spoke in the second passage: yet it and they agreed in this; one thing they had not, which alone was worth, all the rest besides; they had not the love of God. And so it is still; many are the faults which we have not; many are the good qualities which we have; but the life is wanting What is so rare as to find one who is not indifferent to God? What so rare, even rarer than the other, as to find one who actually loves him? Therefore it is that those who go in at the broad gate of destruction are ma