[TynesideLUG] Finally figured out my VM issue!

Casey Earnshaw casey at linuxmail.org
Wed Apr 20 22:44:41 UTC 2022

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to share the good news that I finally have a decent
performance boost for my VMs and potentially better performance for
every day usage of Linux.

Turns out I just needed to upgrade my ASUS bios. Something that up until
now had completely slipped my mind. I've waisted so much time compiling
multiple kernels and trying every VM under the sun. Luckily the bios
itself had a downloaded built in so it made the process really easy.

The article that gave me the idea was:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ryzen-2700x-bios&num=3
which is weird as the version my bios had was 2019 so it's actually
newer than what this article is recommending. However hopefully this
experience will be a reminder for me to not forget that the bios can
potentially cause performance issues.

Casey