[Watford] Linux New Starter Advice (Was: Lug Update)

Matt Marsh matt at mattmarsh.net
Sun Apr 2 22:01:32 BST 2006

Walter wrote:
> I have finally got round to digesting your details email re debian kernel
> install.  Since I currently run Redhat 9 I assume I will have to install
> debian first before the apt-get command will run. Redhat use use their own
> program manager, rpm or something.

Yes, that's right, the instructions I gave were specific to Debian,
RedHat instructions for building the kernel would be somewhat different
but I'm no RedHat expert I'm afraid. Just to explain apt-get and so on
a little:

rpm is the file format for packages created for installation on RedHat
and plenty of other distributions.

deb is the file format for packages created for installation on Debian,
and Debian derived distributions such as Ubuntu and others.

apt-get is part of the apt system available on Debian, Ubuntu and others
which is a way of fetching and installing packages. When you do:
"apt-get install <package>", the <package> will be downloaded from the
apt repositories and installed on your system along with any packages
that it depends on, all quite useful.

> I have the distros for Debian, debian-30r2-i386, which I can use for this.
> I'll use a spare HDD to get a clean install.  I'll then keep you posted of
> progress and I may well need your help again.  Also the driver installs for
> some of the pci cards I want to use can be tackled after I get this kernel
> up and running.

Good luck and let us know if you need more help.

Matt

--
Matt N. Marsh
Email: matt at mattmarsh.net         GoogleTalk: marshmn at gmail.com