[Watford] Installiang Debian

Matt Marsh matt at mattmarsh.net
Mon Apr 3 21:27:02 BST 2006

Walter,

> Debian is in.  But as usual it cannot see the network adapter.  Unless you
> have time to tell me how to install the adapter manually, I will just re-run
> the debian setup routine for now.  I saw that the Realtek 8139 module was
> there as a driver and I found an old one of these PCI cards so I'll try that
> first.

Are you saying that during install it complains that it can't find
a network card? or that it trys to use the network and fails to be
able to connect to a DHCP server to configure the connection or
whatever?

Do you have any details on what the network card is? Is it a PCI
card or is it built into the motherboard? (if it's built into
the motherboard then some details about that would be handy).

One tip... I assume that this is Debian stable (sarge) that you're
installing? If so then the default installation takes place using
a 2.4 series kernel. You might get better results using an install
running a 2.6 series kernel. You can do that by typing "linux26"
at the boot prompt when you boot from the installation CD. But I
realise it might be a bit late for that now, sorry!

Matt

--
Matt N. Marsh
Email: matt at mattmarsh.net         GoogleTalk: marshmn at gmail.com