[Watford] Installiang Debian

Matt Marsh matt at mattmarsh.net
Tue Apr 4 21:18:32 BST 2006

Walter,

> I have got to:
>
> 	# make-kpkg kernel_image kernel_header
>
> And that where I get a string of errors.  I tried to change the stdout to a
> file by piping it:
>
> 	make-kpkg kernel_image kernel_header > log.txt
>
> Which works up to a point.  The script behind it must be calling other
> scripts because the errors are not in the above file. Only aobut 2 lines
> appear but no errors.

When you do: command > log.txt, that takes output printed to, as
you say, stdout, and put's that into the log file. However, errors
are often not printed to stdout, instead they are usually printed
to stderr and so you have to do a bit of magic to ensure that both
output to stdout and to stderr go to your log file. The syntax for
that is the following: command >log.txt 2>&1

That magic "2>&1" means "redirect anything going to file
descriptor 2 (stderr) to the same place as file descriptor
1 (stdout), and hence because you've redirected stdout to
log.txt, it will now also get the output directed at stderr.

Hope that I've explained that well enough! So the command you'll
want to use is:

     # make-kpkg kernel_image kernel_header >log.txt 2>&1

I suspect that it will be complaining about you not having some
tool that it needs to build the kernel. If you post some of the
output once you've captured it then hopefully I can tell you
which tool packages to install.

Matt

--
Matt N. Marsh