[Watford] PHP

Neel Upadhyaya bahulneel at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 18:52:39 GMT 2007

You can actually tie php in with eclipse for interactive debugging using
something like APD or XDebug, I've never done this before as I prefer the
more traditional trace method but the PHPEclise package should have enough
to get you started.

Personally I use both vi and Eclipse for my PHP work, both have their
strengths and weaknesses but knowing your way around an editor like vi means
that debugging on a remote server is a little less painful.

When looking at frameworks be careful you understand what you want from the
framework.  Something like the Zend Framework would give you the tools and
patterns to build a complex homegrown application/ framework whereas other
could lock you into a certain style that could be constrianing (although
it's worth mentioning that Zend does completely remove this issue).

It's worth learning both PHP and Python but pick one for know and grok it
before moving on, personally I don't know much Python but it's on my long
list of new stuff to learn.  With the current state of PHP5 it's a much
better language than PHP4 ever was and can do most of the things the other
object based scripting languages can do.

On 01/12/2007, walt <walt at helvatron.co.uk> wrote:

> Great! Many thanks. I understand the technology no problem.
>
> I have apache2 running and it picks up the index.html and displays the
> test
> website without any problems.  I then installed the PHP5 module (or
> whatever
> its called) and hey presto your sample scripts in index.php worked fine.
> Ergo php must be kicking in.
>
> So now to learning the language.  There must be oodles of documentation on
> the web. But I may be picking your brains later in my learning curve if
> thats ok.
>
> BTW: I am atheist with the motto live and let live.  So you have no
> worries
> on that front.  I have read quite a lot about it all and although some of
> it
> is well over my head I figured PHP looks like my best bet to start with.
> Should I get to point of where I start seeing the advantages of the other
> technologies I will have no hesitation in using them.
>
> I will need database access and if frameworks - django can do that I might
> well switch to that in a few weeks.  I'll check it out.
>
> Are you going to the meeting (6th December) next week?
>
> Thanks again, Walter

MCSE is to computers as McDonalds Certified Chef is to fine cuisine.