[Watford] Separate VGA Display

CLIFF DEAMER cliff.g3ndc at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 8 10:08:35 GMT 2007

Thanks to all for your useful comments;
Yes, I do have a Hot Key configuration for display switching. Function key (Fn) plus F10, this worked OK in Windows before I formatted the disk and set it up as a Linux only machine.
I did try the Fn + F10 combination before I asked the question.
To check the obvious I did an update on xorg.conf which made no difference.
I am not using "fglrx"
xorg.conf shows I have the ATI driver. This is what the relevant section of  the file looks like::

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility M4 AGP"
    Driver        "ati"
    BusID        "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "Generic Monitor"
    Option        "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Device        "ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility M4 AGP"
    Monitor        "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection "Display"
        Modes        "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier    "Default Layout"
    Screen        "Default Screen"
    InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
    InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"

To answer Yvan's question; I would prefer to have the additional (LCD) display dual headed but right now I would settle for it just working!
Any further suggestions would be appreciated.
Cliff