[Watford] Nice to meet you all...

David Pead davesignup at pead.myzen.co.uk
Wed Jul 4 22:21:06 BST 2007

Hey chaps,

Thanks for the warm welcome yesterday eve. It was great to hear what
some of you are into and get a taste of what to expect. It seems you
guys are obviously very switched on with many aspects of Linux and I
look forward to hopefully gleaning at least some skills from what you
have to share.

Steve, great demo, well presented, though I must admit most of the
aspects of what you showed were new to me and completely over my
head! However, I did find it fascinating and remember being rather
stunned at some of the dialogue between you and others within the
group regarding aspects of the install/build. Matt did endeavour to
reassure me that the demo was probably one of the most techie thus far.

There are clearly aspects of linux that you guys take for granted
which I haven't yet sussed out. I guess it's like driving a car. You
guys are racing around, not even thinking about how to change gears,
whilst I'm still trying to to pull away in first without stalling the
motor! However, don't dumb things down too much on my behalf, I'm
sure over time I'll get at least into second gear and perhaps even
third or fourth!!

Cliff, as I mentioned, the link to the mailing list seems to take you
to a page on the wiki rather than the mailing list URL which I have
down as:

rather than

http://www.watford.lug.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Mailing_List

Just a suggestion because if folks are wanting to find out a bit more
about wlug or ask some questions its not as simple as perhaps it
might be?

I look forward to next months meeting all things being well....  Neel
(sp?), I owe you a pint!

Best regards,
Dave

PS Easy ones for y'all. Now Steve has answered my question on making
sure linux boots on start up (its not dual boot but always seemed to
stop at the bootloader and require me to tap return), how do I check
that sshd is set to run on boot and how about setting up my 'have-a-
go box' to use a static IP rather than one set by my DHCP router
(Netgear DG834G v2).

I have no monitor connected to the box usually (it's under the
stairs) and use ssh to get in. When I've restarted in the past I've
lost the ability to ssh in for whatever reason. I've thought it's
probably the router giving it a different IP or sshd not running on
boot, so I want to cover all the bases before I give it another go.
Plus then I can power it down on occasions and just tell the wife to
switch it on if I need to get at it whilst at work or whatever.

It's a pain in the ar*e to wire up a monitor and physically log in to
check/start everything...

PPS Ubuntu 6.10 server edition