[Watford] Sound Card?

Cliff Deamer cliff.g3ndc at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 23 09:08:45 GMT 2007

I wonder if anyone can help me. I cannot get my sound card microphone to
work with Ubuntu 6.10
The "on board card" is Via 8055 and I have tried a Creative Labs Audigy
SE 24 bit PCI card and the results are the same.
Both work perfectly in Windows XP. In Ubuntu all sound outputs work OK
but the Mic input is dead.
When trying the PCI card I have disabled the on board sound
I have checked all of the volume/mute settings.
The only additional clue I have is that there is some noise on the Mic
channel suggesting that the mic is actually disconnected.
A look at the ALSA drivers page suggests this is a known problem with
this Audigy card.
Does any one have a spare PCI card that they know works with Linux that
I might try?
Cliff