[Watford] Apache2 Server on Suse 10.2

Mark Stewart markwstewart at gmail.com
Thu May 10 13:00:57 BST 2007

Walt,

I have just installed openSUSE 10.2. I selected the apache package
from the software list during install
and below details what I did to get it to serve the default page.

The apache config is here: /etc/apache2/httpd.conf. (found it with a search:
find / -name httpd.conf -print)

There are includes in this file from all over the place! I prefer to include
all my configuration settings directly into apache for simplicities sake as
it makes it quicker and easier for me to admin.

For me to get apache to run:

Firstly open a Shell window and tail the apache log file:

shell:#  tail -f /var/log/apach2/error_log

Tailing the log log file will keep you informed of any issues. Try and start
apache:

shell:# apache2ctl start

When trying to start apache I got this error:

httpd2: Syntax error on line 188 of /etc/apache2/httpd.conf: Could not open
configuration file /etc/apache2/sysconfig.d/include.conf: No such file or
directory

I commented out this include file in  /etc/apache2/httpd.conf and replaced
/etc/apache2/sysconfig.d/include.config
with
#/etc/apache2/sysconfig.d/include.config.

I then started apache and it burst into life (this shell essentially runs
"/sbin/httpd &"):

shell:# apache2ctl start

When I surf locally on http://localhost I
see It Works! in the Firefox browser.

Additionally the config for the default website is in the
file /eetc/apache2/default-server.conf and the directory where the
pages are being surfed from are is here: /srv/www/htdocs.
With your specific error please ensure you have a index.html file in your
htdocs directory. (if it is different to the one specified find it with
"find / -name htdocs -print")

Mark