[Watford] June meet & linux printer driver

Yvan Seth watford.lug.org.uk at malignity.net
Wed Jun 4 10:42:32 BST 2008

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 11:31:06PM +0100, David Pead wrote:
> Roll call, who's in?

We're trying to arrange to make it, looking positive so far.

I've been dead busy with moving/work so haven't had a chance to prepare
for any of the items discussed in the last meetup we made it to.
However, I can bring along my handheld GPS (Garmin) and chat about how I
work with it in Linux.  Any other GPS fans in the group who can bring
their GPS toys and methods along?

Will bring along my PIC programmer too and can show some basic stuff
with that if time permits.

> Also, I can't seem to find a driver for a printer at work that I'd
> like to use: KODAK EASYSHARE 5300 All-in-One. There's a driver for
> mac's (which have a unix backbone) but nowt specifically for linux.
>
> Any ideas you cleaver lot? A way to 'port' (have I got that right)
> perhaps?

Alas, Kodak printers are notoriously difficult with Linux and Kodak
doesn't care.  I'm not aware of any shim layer to make Mac (BSD based,
but very hacked) drivers work with Linux.   Typically it'd be a code
port, but the driver code isn't available.

-Yvan