[Watford] Recommendation wanted for printer/scanner

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Sep 19 14:06:25 UTC 2008

My HP OfficeJet G85 seems to be on the way out. It is reporting 'Scanner Failure'
when I switch it on, printing is still OK - prob not worth repairing.
Not heavily used but I did get it more than 6 years ago.

What would you recommend for a printer/fax/scanner/photocopier ?
I never got the scanner part to work (SANE did not like it), so something
that works with that would be nice.

Home/light-office use. Some occasional photo quality stuff but mainly simple b&w
printing. I would be prepared to pay a bit more to buy something where I was not
ripped off by having to buy expensive ink jet cartridges. It seems to be really
difficult to get that sort of 'running cost' info.

I have been looking around ... laser printers don't seem to have quite the print
resolution that you get from ink jets (only important when printing photos). Is that
true or have I been looking in the wrong places.

TIA

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/