[Watford] Hexedit - Recovery of ReiserFs

Walt walt at helvatron.co.uk
Fri May 29 06:25:25 UTC 2009

Hi Guys,

I recently lost my HP MediaVault  (not sure what happened but it has some
irrecoverable hardware fault) which uses ReiserFS with HP modifications as
the file system.  I figured there would be a solution under Linux to recover
my stuff so I started googling and came up with this:
Here is how I used your instructions with my MV drive in a USB
housing connected to a laptop booted from Ubuntu CD:
1. Get an Ubuntu boot CD (I'm using 8.04 beta)
2. Boot from CD into Ubuntu, making sure the MV drive is in a USB
housing and already connected to the system
3. System -> Administration -> Software Sources
* Check Community-Maintained Open Source software (universe)
* Click Close
* Click Reload
4. Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal
* Type: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install hexedit
5. Get into hexedit for /dev/sdb
* Type: hexedit /dev/sdb
6. In HexEdit, search for ReIsEr
* Hit the Tab key (Toggles to the ASCII column)
* Hit Ctrl-S (puts you in search mode)
* Type: ReIsEr
* Hit ENTER
7. When you find the line (ex. 1E859830), change the last two digits of the
line number to 00 (ex. 1E859800).
8. Convert Hex to Decimal (ex. 512071680)
9. Mount it up (loop0 was already taken on my system, so I moved to
loop1)
* Type: sudo losetup -o $[ 512071680 - 65536 ] /dev/loop1 /dev/sdb
* Type: sudo mkdir /mnt/tmp1
* Type: sudo mount -r -t reiserfs /dev/loop1 /mnt/tmp1
You should now be able to see contents on /mnt/tmp1

Link:
http://blog.stevecoinc.com/2007/12/recovering-data-from-hp-media-vault.html

Well I tried it and it worked like a charm up to point 7.  I cannot figure
out how to change a line number in Hexedit.  I must be misunderstanding the
instruction.  The guy who wrote this is unreachable.  I can see the HDD,
Hexedit finds 'ReIsEr' and then I am stuck.

Hope you can help.  Many thanks in advance.

Walter