[Watford] Low powered servers

Toby Deans plumocelot at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 12:56:11 UTC 2010

Today's Topics:

  1. Quest for a cheap low power server.. (Toby Deans)
  2. Re: Quest for a cheap low power server.. (David Edmondson)

Thanks David - I did seriously consider the Sheevaplug / Guruplug. What put
me off is the forum reports of poor heat dissipation from the processor
which is a bit of a design fault. I don't really want to buy something that
will cook itself or cause a fire in a few months of use. I think this is a
major problem with the Guruplug - I'm not sure if the Sheeva has had such
bad problems. It does look like a great product but I think I am going to
wait until they sort out that design problem. These things are catching on -
There is a 'Pogoplug' that PCworld is selling as a network device/home media
server which is basically a branded sheevaplug without the hackability.

I do like the look of the Zotac Ion mini ITX board too but this is probably
more of a mini media HTPC than a server.

Other than that it is the nettops like the MSI Wind or EEEpc box - seeing as
they are both based on the atom processor I am eventually looping back to
the Tranquil PC machine as it is designed as a bare bones server.

Some of the embedded boards I have looked at will run on a DC current and
there is a part of me that wants to try and build a solar powered server ;-)
(with an obvious trickle charged battery) Maplins are doing suitcase solar
panels fairly cheaply. Anyone in the LUG fancy having a go?

plum

--
Reality is only temporary