[Watford] Androids

Neel Upadhyaya bahulneel at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 12:13:09 UTC 2010

At the moment the nexus one provides the best machine for software+hardware.

The best hardware is probably in the HTC Desire however the latest version
of android [froyo] will not be available for it until Christmas (they say).
It is however very close in design and spec to the Nexus One (although a
little more powerful) making the Nexus One a good second and better overall
(especially as google are planning another OS release later this year).

In terms of your requirements the OS will sync with both outlook and your
google contacts including phone, address, facebook, twitter and flickr.  The
nexus one also comes with active noise cancellation which I understand is
extremely usable.

For an ssh client most people seem to recommend Better Terminal Emulator
from http://www.magicandroidapps.com which can be found in the app store. it
costs $9.99 but I understand that it's the most fully featured app out there
(including Ctrl key support).  You can check out the manual here:
http://www.magicandroidapps.com/wiki//index.php?title=Using_Better_Terminal_Emulator_Pro

The nice thing about google marketplace is that it wont charge your card
until after 24hrs of install meaning that if you uninstall the app before
then you wont get charged, allowing for a 24hr "try before you buy".

If you're looking for a larger device then Dell has a iPad like device (the
Streak I think) with an inbuilt phone, however, I'm not sure about the
availability in the UK.

Hope that helps.

--Neel

On 17 July 2010 15:57, Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> wrote:

> I am looking at Android machines, there seem to be many of them.
> Anyone got any quick do/don'ts ?
>
>        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Android_devices
>
> What I want is:
>
> * phone - I don't want to carry a separate device
> * address book, texts as part of the phone
> * ssh client - so a nice big screen to make that usable
>
> I have read about problems with a lack of control key on the ssh client, I
> may need to hack it to get that to work.
>
> That is about it.
>
> --
> Alain Williams
> Linux/GNU Consultant - Mail systems, Web sites, Networking, Programmer, IT
> Lecturer.
> +44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
> Parliament Hill Computers Ltd. Registration Information:
> http://www.phcomp.co.uk/contact.php
> Past chairman of UKUUG: http://www.ukuug.org/
> #include <http://www.ukuug.org/%0A#include> <std_disclaimer.h>

- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.