[Watford] Android Phones

Toby Deans plumocelot at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 15:05:33 UTC 2010

Hi Alain,

I really love my HTC Tattoo Android phone - It is one of the more basic
models but it does everything I want for a third of a contract on an iphone
;-) [Insert counter arguments here]

O.K. - on the downside with the Tattoo the version of Android is 1.6 which
is not a huge problem but may start to cause phone envy on a longer
contracts so when you go shopping look for what version the phone is running
- Maybe more relevant if you are thinking of developing apps but the SDK
does include earlier versions and things should be backward compatible.

The ssh client does work on mine - there are work arounds for the control
key send issue such as an alternative software keyboard you can download and
some phones will allow miniature bluetooth keyboards to connect to the
phone.

Oh.. bluetooth file send is a bit broken in Android 1.6 too ... not a huge
problem for me as most people we know would use wifi anyway.

Screen size: I am a Presbyopic middle aged man with fat fingers and the
Tattoo screen challenges me a bit. I'd go for the biggest screen you can get
on a HTC if you go down that route.

When buying on a contract - check what data limit you get. 500Mb is a bit
stingy on 3G so if you are connecting try and find a free wifi hotspot in
preference and keep 3G for picking up mails/google maps when lost and not
for youtube videos which would eat your allowance very quickly. Common sense
I know but if you are on a contract and get other enthusiastic they will rip
you off,

Two apps I recommend straight away:

App killer: Will time out any background running apps and stop your battery
dying every 4 hours
Network Monitor: Graphs your monthly data usage
Lots of free apps on the store and the ones you do pay for are only a few
pounds.

Good luck searching for a phone.

plum
--