[Watford] UKUUG unconference

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sun Oct 17 15:12:07 UTC 2010

Well - I went y/day, some 50-80 others (I am bad at counting, especially when there are several rooms).
Lots of good stuff for Python heads - which I avoided.
Interesting talk about reflashing android 'phones, someone else talked about the latest myth-TV stuff.

There could have been a bit more organisation to it (although I think that that is supposed to be
a feature of an 'unconference').

One session that I must talk about was by Simon Phipps (http://webmink.com/), we also had
another session about it. The issue is s/ware patents that are rearing their heads again
in the form of ACTA (international trade agreement) that is being railroaded through governments
around the world - it could seriously curtail free s/ware.

This has been defeated in the past, but the corporate vampires keep on coming back to have another go.

I am writing this to get a bit of coordinated action by watford lug members to once again
hammer the wooden stake at this beast.

The basic message was: get involved, write to your euro MP, etc.

All very simple it would appear, except that I would like to write something: informative,
concise, accurate & effective. Maybe if we work together we can either find something that we
could use - or write it and help others to use it.

Anyone willing to work with me on this ?

A few other links, from /. this morning:

	http://politics.slashdot.org/story/10/10/17/060246/Leaked-Letter-mdash-BSA-Pressures-Europe-To-Kill-Open-Standards

An intro:
	http://eupat.ffii.org/int/intro/

I joined this lot a couple of years ago