[Watford] Machines going begging

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Aug 2 15:02:54 UTC 2012

John has asked me to forward this to this list.

Contact John if interested. Will need collecting from Welwyn.

----- Forwarded message from "John Collins (Xi Software Ltd)" <jmc at xisl.com> -----

Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 15:30:04 +0100
From: "John Collins (Xi Software Ltd)" <jmc at xisl.com>

I previously gave John Ingleby some kit about January 2008 when I'd just
got these servers.

Whilst they're in perfect working order (and one has never actually been
used) they are 4.5 years old which of course is ancient as in T Rex
being a lad, and my new machine is more powerful than all of them put
together and I can play around with VMs to do what I need.

One is 4GB RAM AMD Opteron 2 processor 2.2GHz with 2 x 1TB disk on a
RAID controller, 2 Ethernet ports, 2 USBs, DVD read/write.
Another is 16GB RAM AMD Opteron 4 processor 2.2GHz with similar 2 x 1TB
disk on a RAID controller (recently replaced disk drives), 2 Ethernet
Ports, 2 USBs DVD read/write.

Both have the current version of Ubuntu Server on up and running.

Graphics cards on them aren't up to much - just basic VGA but you don't
need anything for servers other than text just to boot them up. I've got
a perfectly good LCD monitor you could have too.

I've also got an X86 Sun server which Sun were giving away at one point
but which I've never used as it's easier and quicker just to run a VM on
my new machine. I'm not too sure of the spec and can't be bothered right
now to turn it on for the first time in 2 years to see. Sun now Oracle
don't seem to be aware of my existence and don't care about that
machine. It's got some version of Solaris on it but you could probably
stuff Ubuntu or something on it if you felt like it. It's probably 32-bit.

All of these are mounted in a rack mount frame with castors. It's more
effort than it's worth to take them out of the frame so I want them all
to go together in the frame.

You can have them if you can find a vehicle you can put it all in to
take away - it's 26 inches high, 21 inches wide and 31 inches front to back.

--
*John Collins* jmc at xisl.com *Xi Software Ltd* www.xisl.com
<http://www.xisl.com>

Phone: +44 (0)1707 886110 Home Phone: +44 (0)1707 883174
Mobile: +44 (0)7958 387247 (toadwarble at gmail.com)

*Trading Address* 3 Mandeville Rise, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL8 7JT, UK

Registered in England Company Number 01977148 VAT GB 403 9239 64 R/O: 2
Mill Road, Haverhill, Suffolk, CB9 8BD

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Alain Williams