[Watford] Plaing with Minix

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sun Feb 24 17:10:44 UTC 2013

I noticed that Minix 3.2.1. has just been released, I decided to play with it -
not having done so for over a decade.

Summary, it works. It installed OK, I then installed ssh and was able to ssh out
of it and into it. Some things took a little puzzling. I didn't bother with
installing a GUI - who needs them ?

Find a mirror off here, http://www.minix3.org/
Eg

    http://download.minix3.org/iso/minix_R3.2.1-972156d.iso.bz2

Note that the iso is compressed, so you need to undo that.

If anyone is interested below are my notes. I installed it as a virtual machine
under qemu/KVM. My setup is a bit unusual as it allows me to give my VMs static
and routable IP addresses, so some of the suggested config doesn't apply.

Minix sysadmin/config files are not at all where I expect them and some commands
that I rely on (eg netstat) are not there.

Have fun!

Config notes 24 Feb 2013

I am running under kvm/qemu, Minix notes here:

    http://wiki.minix3.org/en/UsersGuide/RunningOnQemu

Networking
    netconf
    Ethernet card: 9 -- documented suggeston is 11 -net nic,model=virtio but I do not specify a model & so get e1000
    Enter name - not IP address - in spite of what it looks like
    other stuff is obvious

    Changes:
    /etc/inet.conf
    /usr/etc/rc.local  -- nothing in it
    /etc/rc.net -- /dev/ip0
    /etc/hosts

    Need to reboot

/etc/hostname.file - insert hostname
/etc/resolv.conf   - insert search line

set root password

useradd -m -c 'Alain Williams' -g users addw
set a password

Install new s/ware with pkgin ... needs some ports open ... ftp allowed through my main firewall
    pkgin update
    pkgin install openssh

ssh to elsewhere works

Start the daemon (or reboot):
    /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/sshd start

Can login from elsewhere

tcpstat -a - shows what is listening

nonamed is a kind of named, looks in /etc/hosts & then whatever real name server

http://wiki.minix3.org/en/UsersGuide

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/