[Watford] Anybody going to the Sportsman tonight

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Dec 5 12:49:39 UTC 2014

On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 12:02:16PM +0000, Alan Secker wrote:
> Well I enjoyed last night!
> I liked your idea of working towards a project.
> If we could agree on a purpose and a method, those
> of us not equipped for the method could gain
> guidance from those who are...maybe?

I tink that the first thing that we need to agree is what sort of project, ie
serious or fun ?

One fun one that I suggested a couple of years ago (May 2012) was inspired by
this:

    http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1149

    http://blog.boreas.ro/2007/12/couple-of-cool-april-1st-rfcs-rfc-1149.html

    http://news.cnet.com/2100-1001-257064.html

I thought that maybe we could try to implement IP over semaphore.  Have a pair
of PCs that waved some sticks at each other while looking at each other through
a camera to work out what the was being sent.

Although in one sense completely useless it would involve some interesting
technology and implementation would not be entirely trivial.

If we succeed then I suspect that we would be in demand for giving talks at
conferences (with some nice camera footage showing it in action), would prob
appear on TV news ''some idiots in Watford ...'', and would could write our own
RFC and have it published -- the latter would be good kudos!

Takers ?