[Watford] Shakespeare Quick Quotes

Ishaq ishaqx at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 23:47:36 UTC 2014

Just a quick example of one of the topics discussed at the Watford lug...
They're are no limits ;-)

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

your philosophy ] i.e., philosophy (or learning) in general.

The emphasis here should be on "dreamt of", as Hamlet is pointing out how
little even the most educated people can explain.

One can imagine happier times when Hamlet and Horatio, studying together at
Wittenberg, engaged in heated philosophical debates.

Shakespeare does not expand on the specific nature of Horatio's philosophy,
and in the First Folio (1623), the text actually reads "our philosophy."
Some editors, such as Dyce, White and Rowe, choose to use "our" instead of
"your" (as found in Q2), believing Hamlet is speaking in general terms
about the limitations of human thought.