[Watford] Why can't Linux do the same.....

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Feb 17 11:37:19 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 10:35:18AM +0000, Peter Grant wrote:
> Read the article carefully:
> "Android's line would be well above either"
> So yes, Linux in the desktop space isn't doing well. But as the article
> says, the desktop space is shrinking.
> But Android (which really is a Linux as it's basis) is poping up all over.
> And in the embedded products, Linux is everywhere, you just can't see it.
> Like in the BT Infinity Open Reach modem. And set-top boxes (like Tivo..).
> And given the hacks to run Linux on games consoles, I'd expect most of them
> are Unix based systems, even if they aren't Linux per-se, probably BSD
> based like OSX as the licence is nicer for business.
> And since, like it or not, the current marketplace is going toward IT as
> appliances then the embedded market is growing and general purposes
> computers are headed towards not being mass produced - why do we need a
> 'year of Linux on the desktop' - if desktop and even laptop PCs are no
> longer relevant?

+1

Also: MS whatever and Apple OSX whatever are part of a small number of distinct
products sold by the two companies.

Linux based products are very different. To someone out to make a product they
see ''Linux'' as a toolkit, a whole number of separate components that they can
dice and cook to whatever recipe best suits them. The result is that the end
user probably has little awareness of the common components used by: Android
'phones, Chromebooks, SteamOS (gaming machines), ...

Note: that I have limited my answer to end user products; add in server &
embedded stuff and Linux & BSD dominate. Eg: Web servers, broadband
routers/firewalls, TVio, medical kit, automotive system, ...

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/