[Watford] LUG Meeting today?

Ishaq ishaqx at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 10:14:15 UTC 2016

I have a project I want to get input from you guys on. I want to develop an
environment monitoring and watering system for an allotment.

I already have solar power in the allotment and want to use that to power
the rest of the project.

The solution will consist of multiple  sensor units, a controller and
actuators to control the watering depending on various sensor inputs.

The sensor units will be powered by small solar cells (I want to avoid
using batteries or running power lines from a centralised source).

The sensor unit will consist of a temperature and humidity sensor, a soil
moisture sensor, a light sensor and a low power zigbee wireless
transmitter. I am thinking of using an Arduino based microcontroller to
control all the components on the sensor unit.

The brains will consist of a zigbee hub Attached to a Raspberry pi. The pi
will use the data from the sensors and use an algorithm to switch on relays
that will control the flow of water through soaker pipes laid out on the
ground.

The watering system will be gravity fed/powered from rain water tanks.

Further, I want to use the data from the sensors to provide environment for
reporting through a website, and possibly a camera to monitor and report
visual activity.

So that's what I have in mind. I've done some research on the components
required, but it'd be great to get feedback from anyone that's done
somthing similar before.

I'm also interested in hearing about other folks experiences of IOT Tech.