[Westwales] More wireless drivel

Jonathan West westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Oct 8 20:45:01 2002

Hi all again
It occured to me that maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way and
instead of 2 cards with ext ants maybe 2 APs would be better. I'd still
need a couple of ethernet cards but they are pretty cheap.
I reckon I'd need to subnet the wireless net and have 2 cards in the
home machine and configure it as a router.
The 2 APs that seem about right ( cheap) are the D-Link DWL 900AP+ and
the Netgear ME102. The netgear seems to have a better range.
Both these sets seem to be about the same price as an orinico card with
the pci adaptor.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Either way it looks like it
will have to wait untill next months pay check comes as the external
server is costing mote than I expected.
AHHH... one other thing.. what happened to the url about breaking a
netgear card to wire up an ant.? That is still an option though I would
have to get someone with windoze to config it for me.
BTW.. both the above APs configure with SNMP(perhaps they all do) so I
presume there is no probs with this under LINUX.
Thanks for you patience
Jon ( who is wondering wether it is time to find a cheaper interest :-)
--
public key www.jonwest-horselogging.co.uk/key/jon.asc
http://www.jonwest-horselogging.co.uk