[Westwales] Duplicating a Linux disc

David Goodwin westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Oct 18 08:50:01 2002

Adrian Shaw wrote :
> I'm currently working on a PC using a "dodgy" Fujitsu hard drive, the
> importan information on which is backed up nightly onto another Fujitsu
> (presumably also dodgy).
>
> Not an ideal situation, and many of my colleagues here were in the same
> position. So, we secured replacement HDDs. We now each have 19 Gb Seagate
> discs, which are everso slightly smaller in capacity.
>
> Most (not all) of my colleagues work on Windows. The disc copy tool seems to
> have worked without fault for them. However, it does not seem to want to
> clone my disc (and therefore by extension that of at least one other Linux
> user).
>
> I could always take the opportunity of upgrading my system, by doing a fresh
> clean install onto a new disc, then copying back vital files. Does someone
> have a list of these, as I can't remember what I need?
>
> Alternatively, is there a better solution; an easy way to copy the whole
> disc, including the boot sector, and partition information as may be
> necessary? Will dd work, or is there a better way?
>
> I'm running Mandrake 8.1 (I think it is...) with kernel 2.4.8. Maybe I should
> take the opportunity to upgrade to 9.0 (is it worth it?).
>
> Thanks for any help! I'll pass it on to others in a similar position.

I find it best to backup /etc & /home  (and some /var places if you use
them) and format and reinstall. Then after reinstalling use the old
config files as reference for what you might need to do to the new ones.

(It's pointless just copying the old ones across in many cases incase
the syntax has changed, or new options are available)

David.

--
David Goodwin

[ dof at codepoets dot co dot uk   ]