[Westwales] internet access wireless/via mobile phone

David Goodwin westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Sep 15 14:58:01 2002

TP Muller wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> hope you all had a good summer break.
>
> I might soon have to move into a room (in Aberystwyth) where I don't have
> access to a telephone line. However, I do have a mobile and pay 1p/minute at
> night for all local numbers and 0845 numbers.
>
> So, I'm wondering: what do I need in order to be able to use dial-up internet
> access via a mobile phone (via modem, not WAP or whatever it's called)? Do
> those solutions generally work with Linux? If not, are there any specific
> ones which do? Do they work without a laptop (ie. w/o PCMCIA slots)?
>
> Alternatively, are there companies in Aber offering internet access via
> wireless network adaptors (I heard they've got something like that in the
> Cardiff area, so I guess it's worth asking)?
>
> I'd be extremely grateful for any ideas.
> Thanks very much in advance.
> Cheers
> -Tim

IF you live on North Parade then speak to Gareth B.

If you live elsewhere it's highly likely that there will be wireless
coverage soon (there's certainly going to be coverage in some bits of
Penparcau and Llanbadarn in the near future, possibly also down around
Safeway...

Dan - can you still War Drive (do you still have laptop + card?)

(*Considers turning his AP on*)

David.

--
David Goodwin