[Westwales] online supplier for wireless nic?

Jonathan West westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Sep 28 22:53:01 2002

On Sat, 2002-09-28 at 21:36, Nicholas Pitt wrote:
> If you are going to be using desktop machines then you will need to get
> PCI cards to plug into the computer. You can get these pretty cheaply.
> If you are going to network two machines then apart from the cards, all
> you would need is a crossover cable. If you want to connect more than
> one then a hub is needed if using Cat5 cable. This would be of the
> straight through type and not crossover as that is handled by the hub.
> If you are using a laptop then you will need a PCMCIA network card. An
> alternative to Cat5 is Coax cable. To use this you link each machine in
> a chain with terminating resistors at each end. There is no need for a
> hub with this type of cable and would be a cheaper solution possibly for
> a small number of computers. Does that answer your questions?
>
> Regards.
>
> Nick

Thanks Nick,
I got no problems with basic networking hardware, It's the wireless
stuff I'm not sure about. I need to network two machines in different
buildings about 250meters apart and hopefully also including a neighbour
on the network so I need to get this wireless stuff sorted.
Thanks
Jon
--
public key www.jonwest-horselogging.co.uk/key/jon.asc