[Westwales] Made me laugh

James Davis westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Feb 3 19:39:01 2003

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Jonathan West wrote:

> " Microsoft issued a patch six months ago which
> could have stopped the worm, but its networks were quagmired too because
> the company failed to install it."
>
> If Billy boy was a doctor or something he would have been sued to kingdom
> come by now for negligence :-)

On one hand I think that Microsoft should have worked harder to produce a
product that didn't need such frequent patching and that if the Microsoft
network administrators couldn't work their way through it then how do they
expect us to?

On the other (more balanced??) hand however, I doubt that the network
administrators are that closely connected to the SQL server developers and
are as wary of installing patches on production systems as the rest of us.

Still.. the worm could have been worse, spreading further and faster and
with a destructive payload.

James

--
James Davis           \        james.davis@st-peters.ox.ac.uk