[Westwales] Made me laugh

James Davis westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Feb 3 20:04:01 2003

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Jonathan West wrote:

> Maybe but if I were admin of a 24/7 system I don't reckon I would sleep
> well at nights if I knew my system was vulnerable

I always have access to the database machine firewalled so that only the
systems that need to access the database machine can do so. Of course
firewalling by machine address might not be totally useful with a worm
that spreads by UDP :-\. The impact of the worm could have been a lot
greater if the author had the foresight to set the source port to 53.

Being that the patch was available six months or so ago it isn't quite as
forgivable as if the patch was only made available a month ago.

James

--
James Davis           \        james.davis@st-peters.ox.ac.uk
St. Peter's College     \