[Westwales] A couple of questions (part Deux)

Jonathan West westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Feb 7 19:54:01 2003

On 6 Feb 2003, Dan Field wrote:

> try as root or explicitly call it e.g.: /sbin/ifconfig

Don't think /sbin is usually in the path, I've always had to run it as
above

> >   One other thing - how does one add bits to $PATH. I should know it,
> > but my mind went blank when I was trying to do so.
> >   Thanks
>
> If you use bash as your shell, and I expect you probably do unless you
> have specific reasons to use something else then add the following to
> your ~/.bash_profile :
>
> PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_01/bin/

 and of course from the bash shell for the session
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/java....... or whatever

Talking of j2sdk1.4.1_01... which one of you nice fellas with broadband
would like to put it on a cd for us please or is it on a current coverdisk
somewhere? v1.3.1 doesn't seem to want to play with RH7.2, or only
occasionally anyway
Cheers
Jon
---