[Westwales] A couple of questions (part Deux)

Telsa Gwynne westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Feb 8 08:59:01 2003

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 07:47:33PM +0000 or thereabouts, Jonathan West wrote:
> On 6 Feb 2003, Dan Field wrote:
>
> > try as root or explicitly call it e.g.: /sbin/ifconfig
> >
> Don't think /sbin is usually in the path, I've always had to run it as
> above

/sbin is in root's path, but other users aren't expected to need
to run things from there too often, so it's not generally in
other users' paths. Same gones for /usr/sbin.

If you use "su" to turn into root, you keep your own environment
and so you'll still need to give pathnames for things on root's
path which aren't on users' paths.

If you use "su -" to turn into root, you get root's environment
and so you don't need to type /sbin/ in front of commands which
live in there.

"sudo ifconfig" has the same problem: you want "sudo /sbin/ifconfig"
instead.

I snipped all the rest: I know nothing about java :)

Telsa