[Westwales] debian help

John Bailey westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Feb 11 22:03:01 2003

> 1)  i want to be able to run hdparm and a few others at startup.

I've stuck that kind of stuff as small shell scripts in /etc/rc.boot/

> 2) if i was to compile gcc 3.2.1 can i and how do i set this version to
> the default for compiling other packages. (KDE 3.0.4 like this ver of
> gcc best)

Just in case you didn't know, gcc 3.2.2 is currently in unstable, so you
can 'apt-get gcc-3.2' if that'd do you.  On my system, 3.2 sets itself up
as the default by sym-linking 'gcc' to 'gcc-3.2' and g++, etc.  You could
probably put the symlinks in yourself, or you could use environment
variables which most good configure scripts will pick up, via something
like:

export CC=gcc-3.2
./configure --with-hella-funky-options

'course you could add the export to your profile to make it a little more
permanent should you so desire.

> 3) does anyone have the debians diff source for KDE 3.0.4, QT 3.0.3 and
> GNOME 2 and if so can some one burn it to a CD for me (im willing to pay)?

These /should/ come the CD set/whatever if you got the ones which include
all the source.  If you do something like:

apt-get source nano
ls nano*
nano-1.1.99pre2            nano_1.1.99pre2-2.dsc
nano_1.1.99pre2-2.diff.gz  nano_1.1.99pre2.orig.tar.gz

The '.orig' file is the original and the '.diff' has the Debian changes
in.  Replace 'nano' as appropriate =)

HTH,

John