[Westwales] Linux in schools

Rob westwales at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Feb 19 11:08:00 2003

Hi,

Just to let you lot know, I'm a normally silent type who subscribes to this
LUG and work as a SysAdmin in one of Carmarthenshire's secondary schools.

There is a fair amount of Linux in the Carmarthenshire schools, generally as
mail servers and file servers.  We are very lucky since we have support from
an old Satellite Project, which has now evolved into the Carmarthenshire LEA
ICT Development Centre.

I only met Linux when I took the job about 18 months ago, and would love to
be able to spend more time on it.

I also believe that the school should be educating kids in IT, not training
them to use a foreign product.  It was a while back but I understand that at
one stage Wang had about 90% of the world's mainframe market, then IBM was
THE computer company.  Both almost went under, and Microsoft might go that
way too - one day.  So unless our kids are aware that there's an alternative
to the Microsoft way, they'll have a lot of catching up to do.

I would love to use Linux more, but my problem is trying to keep about 250
PCs going, along with everything from laying CAT5 to changing cartridges to
designing the web site to fixing the Admin system 'cos teachers forget their
training...   ...well, you get the picture...

The Carms techies communicate regularly, and meet for 'training' days a few
times a year.  The majority are pro Linux, and while if you already are
familiar with Linux - it's easier, if your not - there's lots of work
needing to be done.

I think all of us are interested if anyone has ideas.  I would like to set
up an after school club to encourage the kids, but I'd need a room of PC's
and I'm not confident/competent enough to set them up suitably so the kid's
couldn't scramble them and I'd need to convince the Headmaster of the
benefits of a non-MS suite too.

Would anyone be interested in a LUG meet in Carmarthen some time?

Rob Thomas